It is very difficult to lose a loved one. It is even more difficult if that loved one died because of someone else's negligence. You can fight for justice for your loved one by filing a wrongful death claim. A wrongful death claim allows you to make an insurance claim or file a law suit to hold that person or entity responsible and liable.
BEWARE! All jail calls are recorded! If you are in jail making a collect call or on the outside making a call to someone in jail, remember that you calls are being recorded. Even though the computerized system informs the inmate that their call is being recorded, many people forget and make a big mistake by talking about things they should not. Police and prosecutors can listen to these calls ... and they do. Do not talk about the facts of your case. Those should be done with your attorney, face-to-face, in a closed room. Do not say anything on the phone that you don't want the judge or anyone in the legal system to hear. Even the smallest thing you say can get you in trouble. Prosecutors can and will use anything they can against you.
Unfortunately, sexual harassment still occurs in the workplace. This harassment may occur in the form of inappropriate comments, requests for sexual favors, inappropriate touching, and other degrading acts on the basis of sex.
- What type of law do you specialize in?
- How long have you been practicing?
- Will you be the attorney handling my case?
- Will there be other people, such as paralegals, working on my case?
- How much do you charge?
- What other costs will be associated with the legal fee?
- Do you require a retainer?
- Do you have experience with my type of case?
- What different outcomes are possible for my case?
- Are there alternative solutions?
- What kind of lawyer do I want to handle my case? Do I want someone to draft documents, or am I looking for a litigator?
- Don’t Fight With the Other Parent
- Never get physical. If the other parent gets physical, then call the police.
- Do not argue or yell at the other parent.
- Don’t Alienate Your Child
- Do not talk badly to your child about the other parent. We all get frustrated sometimes, but this can make your child feel alienated and confused
- Don’t Break A Court Order
- If the child is scheduled to visit with the other parent, then let that child visit.
- If you are ordered to pay child support, pay it. If not, you can be held in contempt of court.
- Don’t Dress Casual to Court Appearances
- Do not dress like you are going to the gym or to hang out with friends when you go to court. You will make a better impression if you are dressed in appropriate court attire. This can be a suit, a dress, khakis and a nice buttoned up shirt.
- Do Not Just Hire Any Attorney
- Look at someone who specializes in family law to work on your case. Make sure you feel comfortable with that attorney.